There are so many great Japanese seiyuu and I thought I would pay tribute to my favorites by mentioning them on this blog. Because let’s face it, voice acting in otome games is kind of important.🙂 Listed below are my favorite seiyuu (in no particular order)… right now all but one of them are from Hakuouki, lol. I’m sure this list will change as I play more games though. I plan to eventually create a page for each favorite and will try to keep it updated with current info.
- Miki Shinichiro (age 44): A very popular seiyuu with a ton of work in anime, video games, drama CDs, BL (boys’ love) CDs, TV, movies, etc. He’s the voice of Hijikita in the Hakuouki franchise (otome game, anime, drama CDs). I just love it when he growls, “temera…” and “… ja ne yo.” Looking forward to hearing him in the soon-to-be-released Kimi Kare – Shingakki (if I get it) and Hyakki Yakou – Kaidan Romance (definitely getting it). If he doesn’t alter his voice too much, I’ll probably have flashbacks of Hakuouki though, lol. His voice is pretty distinctive.
- Morikubo Shoutarou (age 38): A fairly popular seiyuu in anime, video games, and drama CDs. His voice has a cheery, playful quality to it… I thought he was a great fit for the role of Okita Souji in the Hakuouki game. For some reason, his voice sounded a lot more nasal in a couple of the Hakuouki drama CDs that I heard though. He has a role in the upcoming Kimi Kare.
- Toriumi Kousuke (age 39): A popular seiyuu with a lot of roles in anime, video games, drama CDs, and BL CDs. He’s the voice of Saitou Hajime in Hakuouki and his calm, earnest voice fit the character well. He does a lot of voice acting in popular otome video games and also R18 otome PC games. R18 otome games are for adults (18 years and up) since they have mature sexual content and nudity. Looking forward to hearing him in Oumagatoki – Kaidan Romance, which I will probably play next after I finish Hanayaka Nari, Waga Ichizoku.
- Yusa Kouji (age 43): A popular seiyuu with a lot of work in anime, drama CDs, BL CDs, and video games (otome and R18). He’s the voice of Harada Sanosuke in Hakuouki. I didn’t pay much attention to his voice until I played the Harada route… he has a pleasant, good-natured sounding voice. He shows up in a couple of games that I already bought (Mahoutsukai to Goshujinsama New Ground and Oumagatoki). He’s also the voice of Kazama in the Kiss Yori mo Hayaku (Faster Than a Kiss) drama CD!
- Nakamura Yuuichi (age 32): A fairly popular seiyuu in anime, drama CDs, BL CDs and video games. He’s the voice of Reimei in the Bloody Call (PC) and unEnding Bloody Call (PSP) games. I downloaded the PC trial version of Bloody Call last month and really like his voice. Looking forward to hearing more of him in Mahoutsukai to Goshujinsama and possibly Kimi Kare. He’s also the voice of Ren in the Strobe Edge drama CD!
I was surprised to see that most of these guys are in their late-30’s to early-40’s. I thought they would be younger, well, maybe except for Miki Shinichiro… he just sounds older than the rest of them, but in a good way.🙂